RE: SU Carb Jet Sticking

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SU Carb Jet Sticking
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:00:51 -0700
> I have recently discovered that when I start my TR3 that after I
> release the choke that the rear carb jet does not fully seat to
> the adjuster nut.  The linkage appears to be free of any binding
> or stiffness.  I disconnected the linkage and pulled the jet to
> clean it and lube the lower portion with petroleum jelly as
> recommended in the shop manual.  It is now re-assembled and
> functions better but still stops about 1/16" short.  The lever
> spring also seems to have adequate force.  Does anyone have any
> others suggestions ?

Are you sure the jet is properly centered ?

Polish the outside of the jet where the seals ride on it (body polishing
compound will work).  Original jets were supplied highly polished, but
modern replacements don't seem to be.

If that doesn't work, replace both the external return spring and the
internal "seal spreader" spring.  This problem is often caused by mechanics
who try to improve jet sealing by stretching the spring ... IMO they both
should be replaced as part of a rebuild even though they're not supplied in
the kits.  While you've got the jet assy apart, make sure there aren't extra
copies of the seals and/or cup washers in there.  The concave side of the
cup washers should be turned towards the seals.  Afterwards of course,
you'll have to reset the centering.

Randall