Re: Chassis Painting

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Subject: Re: Chassis Painting
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:06:04 -0400
Guy,

I had my frame sand blasted and the body shop sprayed it with flat (not
gloss) POR-15. I plan to go over it with POR Chassis Coat Black. The car
is still not assembled. I also plan to spray the inside of the frame
members with motor oil, Waxoyl, or Dinitrol. Not sure which. Something
runny that will get into all the cracks and crevices.

I am painting all my suspension parts with either POR-15, or Eastwood's
  rust encapsulator (I have both) followed by POR-15 Chassis Coat Black.

Eastwood's rust encapsulator dries much faster than POR-15 and some
people prefer it for that reason; but I am brushing it and it dies too
fast in my opinion. It's hard to get it on smoothly, even for small
pieces. I have read that Eastwood's rust encapsulator seals the rust
better than POR-15, but I have no personal experience in that regard.
All of my stuff is bead blasted, so I'm not convinced it's important in
my case.

POR-15's Chassis Coat black is a thick bodied paint and two coats or so
leaves a very nice semi-gloss finish that looks a lot like powder coat
in my opinion. I'm sure powder coat is much more durable, but this will
be a sunny day driver, so I'm not convinced that's a big concern for me.

After my TR250 is done, maybe I'll learn to powder coat and use that on
the TR6 and MGB. Just had too many other tools to buy to get into this
car restoration stuff. FWIW I am convinced it's best to use motor oil or
Dinitrol or something like that for the frame interior -- something
runny. I think Dinitrol is the best, but I'm not sure where to buy it in
small quantities.

Don Malling

Guy D. Huggins wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Does anyone have any experience in using POR-15 to paint their chassis
> and/or
> other parts?  I am researching coatings for my chassis after I have it
> cleaned.
>
> If there is another product that you might speak highly of, or curse, I
> would
> love to hear about those as well.
>

> Peace be with you!
>
> Guy D. Huggins