Re: Chassis Painting

Subject: Re: Chassis Painting
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:34:13 -0700
> Does anyone have any experience in using POR-15 to paint their chassis
> and/or
> other parts?  I am researching coatings for my chassis after I have it
> cleaned.

I recently used POR-15 on my very surface rusty Mustang floorboards.  It
seems to be a very good product.  It also seems to be extremely durable and
very hard.  I accidentally let some run into the seat belt captive nuts.  I
couldn't get a bolt to thread for the life of me.  Even running a tap was
difficult.  I used three coats of the thicker silver POR-15.  It filled up
the rust pits in the floors and I now have nice smooth, clean, silver
floors.  They look brand new and ready for paint.  Highly recommended for
floors, not sure about the chip resistance on the frame.  Seems like it
would be fantastic.  Anyone have any experience with that?

Side note/myth debunk:  I don't think that POR-15 is a rust converter.  The
way it works is by creating a barrier against moisture, thereby preventing
the corrosion process.

Paul W.
Torrance, CA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: