Re: Something new about tires....???

To: <LaJoMor@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Something new about tires....???
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:39:32 -0500
Well, I'm no chemist... but normal air is already roughly 80% nitrogen, so
I'd think any benefits related to the chemical characteristics would be
minimal (expansion / leaking due to molecule size).  There is likely some
validity to the claim regarding the moisture characteristics, since normal
air would typically contain moisture and pure nitrogen would not (I know
it's used in waterproof binoculars to purge out all of the moisture).

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4
CT19389L
www.geocities.com/tr4_1963

> Hello all...
>
> Thought this might be an interesting and DIFFERENT topic for the lists...
>

> While waiting for SWMBO to finish some shopping at my local COSTCO this
> morning, I wandered into the tire shop. I saw a large green sign that read
> something to the effect...We are now using NITROGEN in all of our tires
installed
> here.....
>
> I asked the salesman about it. He said it was the latest and greatest.
> Something to the effect of the larger nitrogen molecules not leaking
through the
> rubber and rim (?). The tires hold the nitrogen longer and only need
checking
> only a couple of times a year. Also something about nitrogen not holding
water as
> 'regular' air does. And something about nitrogen not expanding when heated
by
> friction etc. as 'regular' air does therefore tire pressure remains
> constant....And so on and so forth...
> He said COSTCO was the first to offer this on a mass marketing effort...
>
> FWIW....
> Larry M
> CD5182L with regular ole' air....sort of....

Check out the new British Cars Forum: