RE: Voltage Stabilizer

To: <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: RE: Voltage Stabilizer
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:02:30 -0500 iA846FKB030534
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
George,

Thanks for the link.  I had done a Google search and found several designs
out there to replace the stabilizer but hadn't run across yours.  There's
even someone marketing solid state stabilizers, but in a different package
that looks nothing like the originals. See
http://www.rustfreeroadsters.com/.  Its connectors are also different - must
be for a Jag.  My TR4A's part has all male spades, but this one has one set
male and the other female.

My goal was to do something that would fit within the existing package.  I'm
using a National Semiconductor TO-220 three pin regulator that's pre-set to
10V - no adjustment.  That and two capacitors can easily be packaged within
the exsiting case.  At the roughly 0.2A current draw it doesn't generate
much heat and the part is an automotive spec part rated at 125C with built
in short circuit and high temp protection.  On my small sample the needles
were within a half needle width of the original parts, and I've been told
that swapping original-style parts in and out results in more variation than
that.

If it works well I can make part sets and plans available to anyone who's
interested.  Buying commercial parts in small lots is not really practical
and its getting harder and harder to buy parts like this in small quantities
at local sources.

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@comcast.net
Columbus, IN