Re: Triumph support vehicle?

To: kinderlehrer@comcast.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Triumph support vehicle?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:31:34 EST
In a message dated 11/7/04 2:01:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kinderlehrer@comcast.net writes:

<<  I've been talking to a guy who wants to sell his
 1970 International 3/4 ton pickup. It's in pretty good condition (I think)
 with only 42,000 miles, >>

Hard to say what it is worth.  What area are you in?  Do they use road salt?

I am familiar with 70's IH pickups, Traverall ( a 4 door suburban type) ,
Scout II and Traveler ( a long wheel base Scout)

Basic parts such as brakes, gaskets and suspension are not too much of a
problem, unless you have found a torsion bar suspended pickup, last I heard
parts
were non existent.

 The V8 engine family consists of 266, 304 345 392.  Gas mileage will be poor
for short trips/cold weather, these are heavy cast iron lumps that take
forever to warm up. Transmissions were Borg Warner  then Chrysler Torque Flight
in
later years.  Rear ends were Dana 44 or Dana 60

The biggest problem with these trucks is rust.  The bodies consisted of many
welded seams to catch moisture.  The bodies were never dipped in primer, inner
panels were bare steel that rusted from the inside out.

IH folded around 1981, the farm tractor division went to Case ( I think, as
they were connected before folding) The light trucks ended in 1975, the Scout
went on till 1980. The medium / heavy truck line turned into Navistar, recently
it got the International name back.   The Cub Cadet garden tractor division
went to MTD. ( MTD owns lots if lawn equipment brands)

Harold