Stuck A type O/D

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, bpapaleo@eagle.ca
Subject: Stuck A type O/D
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:18:13 -0600
> problem with my 60tr3A (OD)
> that started the last time I had it out for a run.  When I put
> the tranny into
> reverse and let out the clutch the car wouldn't budge,  It was
> like the brakes
> or transmission had locked up, but only in the reverse gear (forward gears
> ok).

Classic symptom of an O/D stuck IN overdrive - a very dangerous condition which
if reverse is forced will cause great damage to the O/D. Often the stuck O/D
will disengage when the oil pressure bleeds down over time while the car is
parked - if not he usual (perhaps short term) fix is to strike the cast iron
ring on the O/D firmly with a soft mallet firmly, with the O/D switch & engine
off. Test by putting the car in neutral and trying to push backward.

Dirt in the operating valve is a likely cause. Further diagnostic info will be
revealed by the use of an O/D oil pressure gauge. I still have several
available for sale:

http://www.geocities.com/jholekamp/index.html

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 (w/ O/D) since '67