RE: Rear suspension.

To: "TR" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Rear suspension.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:59:08 -0800
> If someone used the later springs on an early TR4 without the other
> pieces I think the effect would be an additional height in the rear...
> several inches in fact.

But the problem would be abundantly obvious, because the rear axle would be
pressed firmly against the frame even with the weight of the car on it.
Assembly would also be rather tough, since you'd have to find some way to
compress the springs way beyond their normal loaded position, just to get
things to bolt up.

I'm not even sure the rear shackle is long enough to take up all the excess
length.  Those spacer blocks are a good 5" high, so the rear eye will move
roughly 10" if the spring is compressed until it's flat (like the earlier
springs were).

Seems unlikely that this is the problem.

Randall