Re: stainless steel

To: "Gene" <geneglenn@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: stainless steel
From: portermd@zianet.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:32:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gene writes:

> List,
>
> Outside of specialty stainless steel bolts used in some areas of jet
> engines and not generally available, there are no aircraft bolts in
> stainless steel that should be used.  I favor grade 8 over grade 5;
> Grade 8 is about equal to AN (Army/Navy); NAS and MS usually are even
> stronger, but maybe not necessary.

You might want to check around--high-strength stainless is much more readily
available than you describe. For example, ARP sells a high-strength
stainless bolt that exceeds grade 8 specs (see the specs on their "Stainless
300" series). Expensive? Yes, probably. But, that wasn't the question. :)

Cheers.