GM Alternator Mounting Problems

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GM Alternator Mounting Problems
From: "Bob Danielson" <75trsix@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:55:40 -0500
Cc: <stantr6@comcast.net>, "'Mark Walker'" <tr250@mindspring.com>
OK... everything I've read about the Delco Alternator conversion is that
it's a "drop in" replacement for the Lucas.... so I bought the recommended
Delco unit and it doesn't come close to fitting the existing TR6 mounting
bracket.  The Lucas Alternator fit over a bracket that mounted BOTH the Air
Pump and the Alternator. My Lucas Alternator has 2 mounting tabs spaced
about 3 1/2" apart. The tabs fit on either side of a solid piece that fit
between the tabs. The Delco unit is the complete opposite. Rather then tabs,
it's a solid piece that mounts between 2 tabs that are about 3 1/2" apart. I
hope this makes sense to someone who's done this conversion on a late model
(1975) TR6. How did you mount the Delco unit? Did you remove the stock
bracket and find a Delco bracket that worked? If you have any pictures, I'd
love to see how you did it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6