RE: GM Alternator Mounting Problems

To: "'Bob Danielson'" <75trsix@snet.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: GM Alternator Mounting Problems
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:07:38 -0500
Cc: <stantr6@comcast.net>, "'Mark Walker'" <tr250@mindspring.com>
Bob,
I believe possibly the easiest way to mount the GM or Bosch alternator
to a later car is to replace the alternator/air pump bracket hardware
with those from an earlier ('69-'73) car.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

OK... everything I've read about the Delco Alternator conversion is that
it's a "drop in" replacement for the Lucas.... so I bought the
recommended Delco unit and it doesn't come close to fitting the existing
TR6 mounting bracket.  The Lucas Alternator fit over a bracket that
mounted BOTH the Air Pump and the Alternator. My Lucas Alternator has 2
mounting tabs spaced about 3 1/2" apart. The tabs fit on either side of
a solid piece that fit between the tabs. The Delco unit is the complete
opposite. Rather then tabs, it's a solid piece that mounts between 2
tabs that are about 3 1/2" apart. I hope this makes sense to someone
who's done this conversion on a late model
(1975) TR6. How did you mount the Delco unit? Did you remove the stock
bracket and find a Delco bracket that worked? If you have any pictures,
I'd love to see how you did it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6