Re: Flash to pass - more info?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net ("'Triumphs List'")
Subject: Re: Flash to pass - more info?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:18:43 -0500
In a message dated 12/6/2004 7:35:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Gerald M Van
Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net> writes:

>I looked in the Parts Manual that I have and while it says there are unique
>switches for right and left side cars it describes the switch as having a
>flash feature. I wonder why there were unique switches for the two cars.
>I've never driven a right hand drive car, are the column switches reversed
>side to side?
>Perhaps a Lucas Parts Book can shed some light on the subject.
>JVV
==============

Jerry, yes, the switches were reversed side to side, with the lighting switch
always being "inboard" or closer to the center of the passenger compartment.
However, the switch had a similar orientation, i.e., dip beams at bottom and
side lamps only at the top (or some other similar type of arrangement), so
there had to be two different (yet similarly performing) switches in order to
maintain that orientation and preserve some semblance of logic in the
color-coding of the wires.

Tangentially related to this, my 1970 GT6+ has a dip/main (w/flash-to-pass)
switch on the column. When I first got the car, I was a bit puzzled by the fact
that the two positions were reversed from what they should have been ("main"
beam was at the bottom position rather than the top). Turns out that the part
number on the switch corresponded to that for a RHS car, probably a minor goof
during initial assembly of the car....

--Andy Mace