Re: Differential question

To: "List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Differential question
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:57:44 -0000
Hi Bud
I have had many big Saloons with the same family of diff, The best I have
had was one I re-bearinged myself, and that had about a 16th of a turn
backlash, that is from my experience as good as it gets, they will work with
up to 1/4 turn backlash. The most common cause of backlash in these diffs is
the conical shaped washers

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/tr6/images/60a.gif  ITEM 41

behind the planet gears wear away, leaving the planet to sun gear quite a
way out of mesh, these gears do not rotate fast unless one wheel is
spinning, and unless you are like me prone to full throttle departures then
the diff has little to worry about. The bad news is that you have to
dismantle the diff to do these conical shaped washers, the good news is that
if the bearings are good and the unit doesn't whine then you won't have to
disturb the pinion and can just pull the "pumpkin" out, strip it down to the
point where you can change the conical shaped washers and then rebuild using
the same bearings and shim packs and some new paper gaskets.
If you are any good with spanners this is little different from any other
take it to bits and put it back together again task which you have not done
before, far more daunting before you do it than once you are finished! ;-)
Total cost about 15 quid factoring for the dearest conical shaped washers
4quid each and gaskets and postage from UK, these bits are quite light, also
probably available from your local stockist.
If your diff is noisy it is a whole different ball game!

Graham.