Standard & Triumph Press Car fleet on film

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Standard & Triumph Press Car fleet on film
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:53:14 -0000
Earlier in December, I was ploughing through some old copies of The Standard
Car Review and my attention was drawn to an article in one of them about the
company providing cars for a film called "The League of Gentlemen" whose
name I remember well. It was released sometime between 1958 and 1960. Then,
to my surprise, the same film was offered for viewer delectation on UK TV
over the Christmas break featuring the late Jack Hawkins and other 'young'
actors who are now all - or mostly, playing a harp in the clouds. I didn't
pay much attention to the story line (a heist as I recall) but it certainly
made extensive use of a few Vanguards and a TR3A. The Vanguards appeared in
wet liner four pot guise (which dates things quite nicely) in both
'civilian' and Royal Air Force liveries. FWIW, the Vanguard was the
preferred transport for RAF personnel as a staff car. There's a shot or two
of a 3A in which the passenger (male) kisses the driver (female) in a manner
'appropriate to the period' - i.e. rather decorous and with a distinct lack
of passion. For Rootes Group enthusiasts, there's a rather smart Hillman
Minx making a guest appearance as a stolen car.

Jonmac

---