Re: TR2/TR3

To: <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: TR2/TR3
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:17:06 -0000
Phil Ethier wrote:We have a guy here in the Twin Cities
who walked into a Healey dealer in those days and asked to buy a big Healey
in black.  They didn't come in black at that time.  The dealer made some
inquiries and the factory pulled a white one off the line and sprayed it
black, then put it back on the line.  The gentleman still has it.

I wouldn't comment on the BMC painting method but with respect to Phil (and
the Healey owner) I suspect this is one of those 'popular myths' that many
enthusiasts think is the absolute truth - but isn't. This technique might
have applied at Morgan where cars are virtually hand-made but it certainly
wasn't how odd colours were dealt with at at Standard-Triumph. Black cars
were always painted in small batches on Friday afternoons.

Jonmac

---