Re: Steel Gauge

To: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Steel Gauge
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:40:25 -0500
>Easy question of the day for those in the dark (me).  How is steel gauge
>measured?  If I have a piece of scrap steel, how can I tell what gauge it
>is?

Easy question, but not so easy answer. There are several steel gage
standards used and the gage number bears little logical relationship
to the thickness (in inches) of the metal. Best to just dig a bit on
the web and find a table. I use Machinery's Handbook, which has
Everything Useful listed in it.

The only one I ever remember is 16 gage, which is roughly 1/16"
(0.0598" according to the table).
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (27 year owner)