Bolt Threading Difficulty TR3

To: "Triumph Mail List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bolt Threading Difficulty TR3
From: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:57:48 -0500

I dismantled my TR3 heater over the weekend and have begun blasting the
parts to send to Fred to be PC'd as only the master can do.  I have run into
a bit of a head scratcher, though.  As I always do, I replace all hardware
and fasteners in my restoration unless it is a part that is not readily
available or can only be bought in large quantities.  Well, there are three
bolts on the top plate of the heater that I cannot figure out.  These are
the double ended bolts with the spacer in the middle used to bolt the heater
to the mounting bracket under the dash.  As far as I can tell when I measure
the thread is that they are 1/4"x27 thread.  The only thing I can find
anywhere is either 24 or 28 threaded nuts, mostly 28, which will not work.
Any ideas here and is this an available thread size or something specific to
Smiths?  BTW, I do have the original nuts just in case.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6