RE: Bolt Threading Difficulty TR3

To: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Bolt Threading Difficulty TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:52:41 -0800
> These are
> the double ended bolts with the spacer in the middle used to bolt the heater
> to the mounting bracket under the dash.  As far as I can tell when I measure
> the thread is that they are 1/4"x27 thread.  The only thing I can find
> anywhere is either 24 or 28 threaded nuts, mostly 28, which will not work.
> Any ideas here and is this an available thread size or something specific to
> Smiths?

All of the Smiths stuff on a TR3 uses some variant of Whitworth threads.  From
your description, I'd guess you're looking at 1/4" BSF, which is 26 tpi.  Or it
might be BA 0 which is 25.5 tpi.

If you can identify it positively, you may be able to buy nuts that fit at
http://www.britishfasteners.com

Their new web site is a bit strange, trying clicking on 'Search' at the top of
the page and then entering "bsf standard nut" (without the quotes).

Randall