Re: tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..

To: Chris Jameson <chrisjameson@optusnet.com.au>,
Subject: Re: tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:55:50 -0700
Chris Jameson wrote:

>I had this problem about a year ago, and got lots of good advice (none of
>which I took, silly me!).  I replaced the pedal return spring, and that
>seemed to fix the problem.  But it has come back again.  The pedal works
>fine, but during about one in ten shifts, the pedal seems to feel like it is
>going about one inch further in its travel, and gives a feeling of going
>'over centre'..I can't quite explain the feel.  The pedal then sticks on
>the floor. <snip>

Chris, is the clevis pin that holds the pushrod to the pedal in good
shape? You'd probably notice, but then again it took me till it wore
completely through. At least on a TR4, the clevis pin should be lubed so
it doesn't bind, after which it'll wear down, bend and break. When bent
and even broken, the broken pieces still allowed normal pedal movement
most of the time, but every once in a while it dropped the clutch
immediately, then again sometimes it took a couple pumps to engage.
Rather than look carefully at everything, I bought a master cylinder
from Moss and put it in the boot.

Anyway, a worn clevis pin would be a really really simple problem to
have. Alternately, maybe the pivot bolts for the pedal are loose? Again
on my TR4, one bolt came out and allowed the brake and clutch pedals to
bind, so the brake pedal wouldn't release completely until I let up on
the clutch pedal. I figured this one out a little faster than the clevis
pin, though you'd think when I saw a bolt on the floormat I might have
checked where it came from the same day. Me: "Hmm, there's a bolt, I
should put that in the glovebox in case I need one that size later." I
wish Standard-Triumph had painted the important bolts a different color
from the optional bolts.

PS or these parts may have no similarity to your TR3A.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO