tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..
From: "Chris Jameson" <chrisjameson@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:44:35 +1100
I had this problem about a year ago, and got lots of good advice (none of
which I took  silly me!).  I replaced the pedal return spring, and that
seemed to fix the problem.  But it has come back again.  The pedal works
fine, but during about one in ten shifts, the pedal seems to feel like it is
going about one inch further in its travel, and gives a feeling of going
`over centre..I cant quite explain the feel.  The pedal then sticks on
the floor.  I can hook the toe of my shoe under it, and with a bit of a
lift, the pedal springs back up and works as normal.

I have replaced the pedal return spring, and slave cylinder return springs.
When the clutch is working, the action feels fine, with no binding.  One
thing I have noted, is that the pushrod coming out of the master cylinder
feels quite loose in the `rest (unactuated) condition, with maybe about a
quarter of an inch of fore/aft play against the piston.  Is this normal?  I
know there is an internal spring which can break and stop the clutch from
actuating; can this also affect the return?

Any clues, Triumph wizards?

Cheers,

Chris

1960 TR3A