"Motor Trader" TR4 Supplement

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Motor Trader" TR4 Supplement
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:57:27 EST
Greetings to the list and Happy New Year:

A couple of weeks ago I found an interesting TR4 artifact on eBay. It's the
8-page supplement published by the English magazine "Motor Trader" on 27 June
1962 as Service Data No. 393.

The supplement is a description of the then-new Triumph TR4, its
construction and a compilation of servicing information. I gather that this
sort  of
thing was commonly produced by the motoring press on the arrival of a new car
assure that servicing information would be widely disseminated in the  trade.

The contents include a picture and descriptive text; basic guides to
mechanical and servicing operations; an instrument panel layout illustration
with
callouts; exploded diagrams of the engine, transmission, rear axle,  steering
gear and front suspension; charts of dimensional data and technical
specifications; a frame diagram with service and lubrication callouts; and
tune-up and
servicing specifications. It's a bit like a mini service  manual.

I have scanned each page and assembled them in a .pdf document with  usefully
high resolution. The resultant file is just over 2 MB and it  prints up very
well. Since my original copy was yellowed and a bit dog-eared,  I've preserved
that look in the electronic file; it's an enhancement to the  period feel,
although it makes for a bigger file. I would like to make this  available to
the
list with a couple of caveats. This may be used on a personal,
non-commercial basis. Please refrain from posting it on web sites, selling
copies or
otherwise profiting from the document. Do, however, fell free to share  it with
other TR4 (and Triumph) enthusiasts.

"Motor Trader," a trade publication for the retail car industry, is still  in
print. To stay on firm legal ground with respect to distributing this
document, I wrote the editor of "Motor Trader" and sought permission to copy
and
use the supplement in the manner I have described. Permission was granted, so
this also calls for a nice "thank you" to the folks at "Motor Trader."

Anyone who wishes a copy should e-mail me off line. I'll send out a blast
reply to the expected throngs after a few days of compiling the requests.

Bob Sharp
Michigan
64-ish  TR4