Re: suspension problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: suspension problems
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:05:50 EST
Hi Al,

The same thing happened to one or both of the front shocks on my Land Rover,
while about 90 miles from home. The front suspension became absolutely rigid
and made for a pretty rough freeway ride home. LRs use the same original brand
shocks as were used on TRs (Woodhead?), but the 4400 lb. beast wears them out
quickly. Other LR owners were amazed to hear I got 21,000 miles out of a set.
Most only expect 15,000 miles. Apparently they last a little longer on lighter
TRs! Both Spax and Koni are good replacement shocks. Konis can be rebuilt,
but I'm not sure it's worth it. Rebuilding a set cost only a few dollars less
than new replacements, by the time you factor in shipping. I'm not sure, but
don't think Spax can be rebuilt. Either will last a long, long time, though.

Glad you found the problem!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

From: "Alan Salvatore" <6parts@charter.net>
Subject: suspension problem

Got the car up in the air this morning.
Somehow one of  the shocks got bent and then got hung up.  I'll have to wait
till the new shocks arrive  to investigate what caused the bend.
I am thinking these might be the original shocks or close to it, since this is
one area I haven't renewed. And that it may have rotted out internally causing
the rod to come loose.
Oh, I went for over kill and ordered a set of Spax shocks.