re TR4 mirrors

To: yellowtr@adelphia.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re TR4 mirrors
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:58:34 EST
Bob,
Attached is a picture of what Standard-Triumph sold as a late option for TR4s
and Spitfires - this flyer shows their choice of fender mirror on a TR4 and
their floor matts in a TR4 cockpit.
My own car came with a driver's door mirror that was probably installed by
the Triumph dealer in San Francisco. Normally TR4s shipped with no outside
mirrors. My mirror is similar to the one Andy Mace linked us to
(http://members.aol.com/herald948/mirror.htm) ie; has a 'two screw' base. But
it has a flat arm
with 'speed lines' on casting, and it is not adjustable like Andy's. It is
definitley a low tech 60's design - and it seems to fit the TR4 style. I have
collected a couple more at Brit meets. Sorry I don't have photo.
In the UK the Tex brand mirror seems very popular for TR4s although it was
developed late 60's early 70's (past TR4 production) and seems even more
popular
on TR6s.
I'll send photo of the TEX pair on a nice TR4 to your address.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74  .. no mirrors for now - probably SF dealer installed
mirror later - maybe a bullet on door, but never again on front fenders!
What is the correct outside mirror for a early 63 TR4? I have seen both
the bullet and the traditional (TR3) Lucas. Should there be one on both
sides?
Thanks,
Bob Labuz
1958 TR3A