Oil Filter ramblings-

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Filter ramblings-
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:41:41 -0800
While changing oil filter in the Spitfire, and about to on the Mustang, I
got to wondering just why there are so many different sizes and shapes for
them - I had to use a Motocraft 300 filter on my 1970 Ford truck with a 289
simply because a Motocraft FL1 was too long for me to use - I can see that
engine size and oil capacity could come into play here, as well as mounting
threads but is there really a need for SO many different ones or is it
simply as in my case, more or less the available room??  I don't think that
the slightly smaller filter (which is about 1 inch shorter) that I used on
the V8 will affect filtering all that much, I just may have to change it
more than the usual 12000 miles (which I do anyway).  I would think that
about 8 sizes should realistically cover just about any passenger car
engine but there are obviously a lot more than that. Just one of those
rambling thoughts that go through my head from time to time - anybody got a
different reason other than the above that there may be so many and has
anybody researched what effect if any there is to using a different one
than the manufacturer would recommend?? I've never encountered any problems
-
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)