RE: Oil Filter ramblings-

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: Oil Filter ramblings-
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:22:20 -0800
> anybody got a
> different reason other than the above that there may be so many

There are also internal variations ... some filters have anti-drainback
valves and/or full-flow valves while others don't.  The size of the sealing
ring also varies.

> and has
> anybody researched what effect if any there is to using a different one
> than the manufacturer would recommend?? I've never encountered
> any problems

A good question to ask at this point ... how would you know if your oil
filter is not doing it's job ?  After all, up until the 50's, many
automakers were claiming that they were not necessary at all !

The oil filter on my first car, a 1962 Chevy Biscayne, was optional.  It was
also a bypass type filter, the oil galleries were fed with unfiltered oil
and the filtered oil was returned to the crankcase.  The filters on the TR2
and early TR3 worked the same way.

Randall