Re: TR Starter and Flywheel

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: TR Starter and Flywheel
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:05:20 -0700
Bob Nogueira wrote:

> I'm looking for some guidance here. I'm helping a friend who has a TR
> engine. The starter gear (on the starter) is chewed up pretty bad.

The shape of the starter pinion gear does matter. And it's great timing,
since today I pulled my transmission and can give you a good illustration.

A couple years ago a nearly new starter came apart for me. The pinion
gear was the wrong shape. (I needed the "arrowhead" shaped gear,
distributor gave me the straight gear). It was noisy when I installed
it, but in a call with support from the big three vendor I was reassured
they all worked the same, it'd quiet down. It did quiet down a little,
until the bendix gizmo unscrewed itself and threw itself around in the
clutch housing. I fished out the pieces with a coat hanger and installed
a good used starter from list hero Joe Alexander. All quiet until I
pulled the tranny today, dead because of an internal failure. Check out
the clutch housing in this photo:

http://www.newellboys.com/images/tr4-tranny.jpg

--
Steven Newell