clutch housing holes: starter pinion fun

To: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>, Triumph
Subject: clutch housing holes: starter pinion fun
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:17:13 -0700
Anthony Rhodes wrote:

> Wow!  Did those pieces of the bell housing bet blown out by the loose
> part, or by your recent "internal failure"?  Did you know about these
> holes before the recent failure?

The clutch bell housing holes were bashed out by the starter parts when
the wrong-shaped pinion gear unscrewed itself. That was over a year ago,
probably no more than 5000 miles ago, and I didn't know about them until
I pulled the tranny on Friday. I should have guessed since the clutch
seemed louder after I fished out the parts (all except one I couldn't
find, that was another clue) and installed another starter.

All the holes happened to be on the top side of the housing, no sign on
the bottom. The recent internal failure was a failed bearing that showed
itself much more peacefully, growling transmission sounds followed by
needle bearings drained with metallic-looking fluid.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO