RE: o/d switch repair?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: o/d switch repair?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:00:23 -0800
> One of the switches on the top of the gear selector cover that allows the
> overdrive to function is flaky. I took out a shim and it makes better
> contact, but not a nice consistent low resistance. Sometimes a few ohms,
> sometimes a few hundred ohms, sometimes wandering as I watch.
> Can the switches be taken apart and contacts cleaned? If so, any gotchas
> before I dive in and bust something?

Personally, I'd just replace it.  Not much to lose by trying to clean it ...
except a nice reliable OD !

There have been different designs sold as replacements over the years, I
don't know what would be original for a TR4A.  The original TR3A switches
are hard to get apart without breaking the Bakelite.

Randall