RE: SPACERS? was shock removal process

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SPACERS? was shock removal process
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:56:19 -0800
> I don't think one must 'grab ahold' of the spring plate with the
> bottom of the
> internal coil spring remover.  To do this would not allow the
> spring plate to
> be removed in 1 step.  Rather, what I am IN THE PROCESS of doing,
> is catching
> ahold of the spring 2/3 of the way down it's length and
> compressing it upward.
> This allows the spring plate to remain 'free' for removal.   Grabbing the
> spring midway, like I'm doing, proably just results in a quicker
> procedure.
> Correct?

I disagree that it's quicker, especially if you're only changing shocks.
But even if it was, I much prefer the compressor that traps the spring.
I've still got all my fingers after using one of the other kind, but it was
only dumb luck !  Your method will let you get the spring plate off sooner,
but you still have to back off two spring compressors, switching back &
forth between them, to get the spring out.

> I was thinking that maybe by
> 'adding' these spacers that I could raise my front end if the exisiting
> springs have fatiqued.  Question: What do people think about this?

Don't forget that 1/2" at the spring will raise the car by more, maybe as
much as 1".  Also, you'll be replacing the packings (I assume) and they'll
have sagged more than the springs will.  If the original springs really
leave the car 1" too low with new packings, I'd replace the springs.

Randall