Re: valve guide seats

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: valve guide seats
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:35:10 -0000
> > Are valve guide seats a good idea if one is going to be traveling
> > less than
> > 10,000 miles per year?  Are the only downsides are cost, and the need to
> > machine the valve guides to accept the seals.

When I had the head for my PI modified for unleaded with hardened seats, I
specified new 'stock' valve guides. The guy who did the work used phospher
bronze guides with top end seals. The price was astronomic and certainly not
what I requested or confirmed in writing. We had a bit of a barney about
this, with him claiming they were better - and maybe they are? I took the
view then - and still adhere to it, that no Triumph engine is worth this
level of investment for a car that does about 8000 miles a year. Eventually
he relented and removed the guides at his expense and I've got what I wanted
which is effectively a stock unit. IMHO, a rebuilt engine running on
state-of-the-art lubricants (mineral or synthetic) does not demand high tech
valve guides if its going to see normal road use. Finally, there's no reason
why such guides shouldn't last less than 100,000 miles - and maybe more.

Jonmac