Re: 70 Spitfire update (OD question)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 70 Spitfire update (OD question)
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:34:49 EST
Hi Darrell,

I don't think it's possible to set up the OD to engage in 1st gear on any of
these cars using either A-type or J-type ODs. It is possible to add a switch
to engage it in 2nd gear, but you may not want to.

I'm not sure about your car, it's lighter than the TR3, 4, etc., but in those
cars OD is available on 2nd gear and many who have boosted the engine output
have had to disconnect 2nd gear OD (or remember not to use it), to avoid
problems throughout the drive train. This is particularly true of early A-type
OD
which has a larger piston and bangs into operation faster and harder than later
versions, and of any of the IRS cars where the diff mountings and axles are
more vulnerable to heavy torque.

So, you may or may not find 2nd gear OD a good thing on your car, depending
upon how many other mods you have made and what torque/horsepower you have
going through the drive train. Hey! Close ratio or straight cut gears might do
the
trick! ;-)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

Now I am wondering before I put the gearbox tunnel back on if I should try to
rig the OD to engage in first gear.  This is an early GT6 box that will only
engage OD in third and fourth.  Would it be good to have OD in first and
second to eliminate shifting on the Autocross course? I am looking for any
advantage I can get to give that Marty Sukey a run for his money for FTD in
Rockford