Re: Help ID / UK to US English

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Help ID / UK to US English
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:07:07 +0000
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, at around 19:47:39 local time, ZinkZ10C@aol.com
wrote:
>Hmm, two threads converge and a old discussion continues.
>
>In a message dated 1/25/05 3:13:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>lmtr4a@ctlnet.com writes:
>
><< while the engine (a motor
> is something that runs on electricity) >>

By derivation, a motor is a "mover" and an engine is any ingenious
creation, usually mechanical in nature.   Both are obviously potentially
applicable.   Engineers, and others with an engineering background, tend
to prefer "engine" for the power-plant in their cars.   Generating sets
consist of an engine and a motor.

>I'll use either one, some have consistant usage though.
>
>Motor
>
>Motorway ( Brit Highway )
>Motorcycle
>Motoring ( Brit, ride in the country )
>Motor Car
>Motorcade
>Motorhead ( car person or rock band)
>Motor Mount ( rubber blocks that hold the engine/ motor )
>Motor oil

I use "Engine Mount" and "Engine Oil", although I have a feeling that
some manufacturers used to call the latter "Motor Oil".

Plus:

Outboard Motor (never engine)
Electric Motor (never engine)

>Engine
>
>Engine displacement
>Engine lift ( portable crane )
>Engine stand
>Check Engine Light ( US dash warning for a car engine/motor computer fault)
>Small engine ( on a lawnmower )
>Check the engine oil ( instruction in the owners manual)

Plus:

Diesel Engine (never motor)
Marine Engine (never motor)
Oil Engine (never motor)
Engine Size (in cc or litres - never motor size)
Short Engine (I've never heard "short motor")

>That should get things started  ;+)

And those should keep the motor/engine running...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671