Re: UK to US English / Spares

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: UK to US English / Spares
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:14:37 -0000
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
> > Actually, we would tend to say "spares" rather than "bits".

This in itself is something of any oxymoron.
My copy of the Oxford Dictionary - a compendium of impressive dimensions -
describes 'spares' as "noun. plural. A collection of items that are surplus
to requirements"
This begs the question of why anyone would want to buy something they didn't
want?
However, with Triumph *Spares* Day fast approaching in the UK, we can be
certain of seeing a vast array of components that are surplus to the
requirements of those selling them, being hacked over by a crowd of
'vultures' who *might* want them for immediate use.
We live in a strange world

Jonmac