Re: Bonnet Mirrors/off v. near side

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Mirrors/off v. near side
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:10:58 EST
In a message dated 1/26/2005 4:46:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mmarr@nexant.com writes:

>  especially the
> "off side" (right hand, since my car is left hand  drive) one.

Actually, that would be the near-side, because it is  closer to the kerb.
The off-side is the driver's  side.

========
OK, I see how one might make that argument. However, please don't extend
that argument to the placement of wire wheel hubs and knockoffs. With those,
one
had best keep the "near side" hubs/knockoffs on the LH side of the car and
the  "off side" ones on the RH side regardless. It's not a pretty sight to
watch
a  knockoff spin its way off the hub whilst the car rolls merrily along,
especially  when the wire wheel soon follows.... ;-)

Saw it happen once many years ago when a friend bought a tired XK-150 and
had it towed, rear end up, to my house. Fortunately, while the knockoff on  one
front wheel unwound itself and came off (I happened to be following, saw it
and retrieved it), the wheel was so thoroughly attached to the hub that it
didn't come off. Coulda been painful....

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)