TR4 Temperature Gauge question

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Temperature Gauge question
From: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:35:55 -0800
Hi,

I have been lurking on this list for awhile, but I have not done much
posting. I have a 62 TR4 which seems to be running pretty well (for
now). The problem I am having now is my temperature gauge seems to be
reading too high. My temperature gauge reads around 3/4 to maximum
depending on whether I am idling or I was just driving, but when I
measure the water temperature with my wife's meat thermometer( don't
tell her I took it), the thermometer reads around 170-180. I am
measuring the temperature of the water by turning off the engine, and
sticking the thermometer in the neck of the radiator.

Additionally if I run the engine until the gauge registers, and then I
shut off the engine, but leave the ignition on, the gauge registers
about 3/4 of what it did when the engine was running. I am not sure,
but I seem to remember that engine temperatures actually go up
immediately after the engine is shut off, so I suspect it is some sort
of electrical problem. Additionally, turning on the headlights, lowers
the gauge reading to about 3/4. The gauge shows a lower temperature at
idle than when the car is moving.

About a year ago I replaced the voltage stabilizer(the thing in the
passenger foot well) because the temperature gauge was behaving
erratically (bouncing all over the place).I ordererd the stabilizer
from Moss Motors - it appears to be a solid state device (it has a
visible circuit board). The temperature gauge behaved normally for
about a year. Recently I switched my grounding from positive to
negative. I am not certain if the gauge inaccuracy occurred at this
time but it was close enough to make me wonder if this caused the
problem. The gauge reading does not vary much, it just reads high. I
am wondering if the voltage stabilizer is no longer functioning?
Should the voltage at the gauge always be 10V? Or is it possible that
I need to adjust the control box/voltage regulator?

This seems to have happened around the time I converted from positive
to negative ground. I did the conversion a few weeks ago. Is it
possible that I fried the voltage stabilizer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark