Alternate route to overdrive

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alternate route to overdrive
From: jim williams <sportsix63@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:56:33 -0800 (PST)
I have read the posts on using and not using various
types of gear boxes and overdrives. Let me share 25
years of USA Herald driving. First, I hate to hear a
40 year old motor turning high rpms. That's one thing
that will kill a lead head engine. They won't take
that abuse over time. High rpms and pulling are the
two killers to no lead gas. So...  where to go from
there:
Here are some of the things I've done.
1147 motors. If you want to keep that engine find  a
3:89 rear gear. Want more? Go to an 80 series tire.
Car will look near correct. You can use a 3:63 rear
but the source will be Canada or the UK. The 1147 will
pull the gear but not in hilly areas. The 3:27 is over
kill. To tall!
1296 motors? Overdrive is there for you or use the
gears. 3:89 or 3:63 and tires. Depending on what rpm
you want to run. The 3:27 is still too tall.
1500 motor. The best of the above. Good bottom end
torque and there are a boat load of these to pick
from. Again the O/D is there for you.
I've even run a 3:27 with a GT-6 and O/D. Great top
end!
If the 5 speed is your pick. Stay with the Toyota.
They are a dime a dozen. I called on several ads that
people were parting out cars. Got two 5 speeds for
free. The Ford unit is great, but it will be hard to
find in the US. Most of those cars equipped with that
trans. have be crushed or are hands of people who
think they are worth a good deal of money because they
haven't seen one in awhile.
In selling an older car the first thing I ask are
their intentions for the car. From there I explain
what it will and won't do. No use in making someone
unhappy.
When I make changes I keep the old parts. If and when
the car goes up for sell. They can have the option of
paying the price for the new additions or put the old
parts back on and I keep them for the next time
around. I have two O/Ds that have been in several cars
over the years just because of the above.
My views only. No offense to any other posts.
Good luck. I hope this helps.
Now, if someone could tell me how to get a Rover V-8
in a Herald. (just kidding almost!)

Jim

=====
Jim Williams