Re: 1/8" cork use

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1/8" cork use
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 04:49:02 -0700
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>I ran accross a sheet of 1/8" cork and wonder what I might use it for it the
>restoration of my TR3A... gasket material?

The only cork gaskets I recall making are the fuel filter bowl and the
gas tank sending unit.  I made these out of 1/16" cork but off hand
don't see why 1/8" couldn't be used.  Maybe it's my old fuel pumps that
have been tweaked from over-tightening, but I do find the cork seals
better than the rubber replacement gaskets often supplied.

Of course, the valve cover gaskets are cork if you are looking for a
project but at $4 each I have never bothered to make my own... you might
have to though if you are using an aftermarket valve cover.

Otherwise -- eighth-inch cork on the back of decorative tiles are dandy
trivets.  Nice presents for people you like only a little bit.

Geo Hahn