Next OD question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Next OD question
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:16:21 -0800
The transmission transplant on my TR3A is now a club activity and is
scheduled for an upcoming weekend. I am trying to get the trans ready but
ran into a what may be a conflict with the diagrams in the manual.
The area in question is where the pump assembly goes into the bottom of the
trans.  It was dripping oil from that spot. There was no "plug, oil drain"
(over $70 from Moss, thank you very much), but instead a thick, flat washer
with a bolt end with a 1/2" nut in the middle was sort of jammed in the
opening, the washer thing was bent a bit. I picked up a replacement "plug,
oil drain", luckily I found a used one for 1/2 price, and removed the washer
thingy. It came out attached to a 1" cylinder shaped chunk of rubber with a
ball bearing sort of embedded in the inside end. The stud the washer is
attached to is embedded in this rubber thing.  Stamped on the washer is
"Read instructions before installing" and  "install dry, Use no lubricant".

This rubber thing does not look like the "filter" in the diagrams, doesn't
look like it could filter anything. Both the washer and the "plug, oil
drain" will not fit at the same time and the washer doesn't really seem like
it fits at all.

Sorry about the long description, I'll get to the questions: 1. Is the
washer supposed to fit in there? 2. Is this rubber thingy supposed to there?
3. Where did the ball bearing come from? 4. Should the filter be where the
rubber thingy was or does it go above the assembly that is still in there,
secured by 2 bolts and above where the rubber thingy was?

I'm guessing that a previous owner of this transmission lost the "plug, oil
drain", didn't want to pay the equivalent of $70 for a new one, so they used
this plug thingy and inserted a ball bearing to make sure it didn't block
all the oil flow. I'm also guessing there is supposed to be a filter in
there because otherwise there would be a 1" empty space, but it doesn't look
like it should in the diagrams.

Anyone have any insights?

TIA,
Bob