Transmission trick for TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission trick for TR4
From: McRuss <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:35:02 -0800 (PST)
(Car is a '63 TR4, no overdrive)

I was able to remove the tranny, put the new clutch/pressure plate on and
install the new throwaway bearing (oops, the old one was the throwaway...)  But
now I'm having a problem with sliding (not a good descriptive term) the
transmission back into the car.  The input shaft on the tranny wants to hit the
pressure plate before I can get the clutch 'lever/arm' down through the cutout
in the floor pan.  The book simply says angle the bellhousing to the right and
the tail to the left to allow it to clear.  Wont go.  I can come within 1/4"
but am afraid to use big hammer in this installation (several warnings about
'hanging' the trans on the clutch) and don't want to knock the clutch out of
alignment or I'll be taking it out and starting over.

Any suggestions?

Russ Locke
San Antonio, TX
(but a Coloradian forever....)
'98 KLR650, '04 FJR1300,'05 K1200LT (DECEASED)
'64 TR4 for sale....
MSF Rider Coach
www.geocities.com/wtrrtw