RE: Driver seat TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Driver seat TR3A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:54:18 -0800
> I am sorry I seem to be using a lot of bandwidth here over the last
> couple of days.

No worries, John.

> I was looking at the driver's seat pan in the sun light today &
> noticed there are cracks emanating out several inches in all
> directions from the back bolt holes on both sides of the seat.

It's a very common problem, because that metal flexes every time the driver
leans back in the seat.  Over time it work-hardens and cracks.  At least every
original pan I've ever looked at either had the cracks or had been repaired
(mine were both).  The passengers seat will likely have them, but to a lesser
extent.

If you reinforce from the bottom, you'll want to do the full length of both
sides, otherwise the seat will wind up tilted.  I didn't think it would make a
difference, but I do notice it.  Ideally, I think it should be done on both
sides.

Not sure what to tell you about the welding, except to build a clay dam around
the area being welded, to try to keep the heat away from the upholstery.  Some
water sprayed on the outside, and working slowly with time to cool between welds
should help too.  MIG welding is supposed to be about the best for limiting the
amount of heat put into the surrounding metal, so this might be the perfect
excuse to pick up a welder if you've been coveting one.

Randall