was: TR futures... now: EVs (very little LBC content)

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: was: TR futures... now: EVs (very little LBC content)
From: Nicholas Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:42:00 -0800 (PST)
Hi Randall

>> (my commuter car is a '73 VW Karmann Ghia converted to electric power...
>>it gets about 2.5 miles per kwh)
>>
>So assuming you charge it from an electric grid, does that really represent
>a net reduction in pollution ?  According to the National Resources Defense
>Counsel, electric power plants are THE "single largest industrial source of
>some of the worst air pollutants".  Not trying to pick a fight, just
>curious, as I assume you worked all this out before doing the conversion.
>
>Randall

   Excellent question.  The most concise answer I've found so far is this:
"As a system, EVs and power plants are twice as efficient as ICE vehicles and
the system that refines gasoline."  (from www.evadc.org/pwrplnt.pdf).  This is
because the big turbine engine in a power plant is far more efficient (in terms
of energy production per unit of CO2) than an internal combustion engine in a
car.  Even after you figure in power losses due to power line transmission and
the electric motor itself, the electric car usually comes out ahead.
   As fossil-fuel-burning power plants become more efficient and more solar and
wind plants comes on line, my electric car just keeps getting more efficient.
And the best part is, the engine only has one moving part!
   If anyone wants further details, feel free to contact me off-list.

   Now for the obligatory LBC content:  There are electric Triumphs out
there... Spitfires and TR7s, a Mayflower, and a Herald are the conversions I've
heard of.  Anybody know of others?  My mom has an electric TR7.

-Nick