was: Re: TR futures now: Solar living vs. Backcountry living

To: bbrewer@qnet.com
Subject: was: Re: TR futures now: Solar living vs. Backcountry living
From: Nicholas Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:55:40 -0800 (PST)
Hi Bill

>When you move off of the power grid to a remote area, you can run into a
>>really undesireable set of people if you are
>not careful.
>
>     Bill Brewer

   Sorry to hear about your misadventures.  But the problems to which you refer
result from living "out in the boonies", not from having solar panels on your
roof.  One can live in the city and have a solar-powered house.  In fact, a lot
of people who do this stay connected to the grid so that they can use grid
power by night and feed excess solar power into the grid by day (when the sun
is shining).  There are special power meters for this that can effectively run
backwards; after a particularly sunny month, you can actually receive a check
from the power company instead of a bill.
   Again, we're getting pretty far off-topic, so if anyone wants to chat more
about this, we should probably do so off-list.

-Nick