TR4 Seat spring alternative

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Seat spring alternative
From: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:45:53 -0800
Hi,

I am going to recover my early TR4 seats soon, and I was reading in
Roger Williams book that he recommends using a solid foam seat cushion
that some triumph shops sell.
Has anyone used these instead of the springs and padding that the big
3 sell? If I were to buy seat springs from the big 3 are there quality
differences between the springs each company offers?

One of my current seat springs looks OK (not really rusted at all),
and I am considering keeping it. However when I go over large bumps I
can feel the springs bottom out on the seat. Is this normal, and would
new springs do this on someone who is 210 lbs?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark