Birthdays and thank goodness for uncles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Birthdays and thank goodness for uncles
From: Christian.Simonsen@flextronics.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:13:09 -0800
Back in 1966, when I was 6 years old,  I had the opportunity to visit my
great uncle in Hampton, Virginia. I don't remember all the details, but I
remember my aunt handing me a pillow to sit on as I crawled into the back of
his white growling 63 TR4. A week happened in a day in that car. We saw jets
taking off and landing at Langley AFB from our own cockpit, went crabbing
and fishing.  My uncle was a crazy driver and this was some kind of race
car. Ended up at a pool hall, where my uncle skunked my Dad several times
while I sat drinking Pepsi on the corner of the bar. That's how my love for
Triumphs started.

Eight years later, I was getting into trouble all the time. Alcohol, drugs
you name it. My uncle came to the rescue with a project for me.  He gave me
his "old" car.  A 1954 TR2 - two years later and visits by my uncle it was
cleaned up, running, and painted. He taught me alot about cars, treated me
like an adult, and helped me gain a new perspective on things. My mom helped
me sew new seat covers. I learned so much about electricity (through turn
signals and rigging negative ground 8 track players) during the work, that I
decided to become an electrical engineer..... (Years later Lou M needed some
of my parts to copy for his restoration and I wouldn't lend him mine - I've
been burnt in the past, but I still feel bad about that - sorry Lou)

Time to return the favor and take care of my Uncle came years later after a
stroke left one side of his body paralyzed. Then 11 years of no progress, it
became pretty apparent that he'd never drive again.  What does he do?  Gives
me that white growling TR4. Complete with a full tool box, carton of stale
camels, and a half a bottle of Jim beam in the trunk!  I cut down the tree
growing through the floorboard and towed it back home a few weeks later.
Months later he gave us another scare with a stroke that took his ability to
speak. I did a 10 foot restoration and had it back running a little over two
years after I got it and literally hours before my trip for his 86th
birthday. I did something foolish and put the plates from my truck on it and
made the 4 hour drive as it's maiden voyage after a 12 year forced vacation.

Soon figured out how to work the overdrive and the trip went without
incident. I rolled up into the driveway. My aunt was rolling my uncle onto
the porch. We said our hellos and put the wheelchair on the luggage rack and
took off for a birthday outing.  We saw Jets taking off and landing, skipped
the crabbing, did a bit of fishing and stopped off at a bar (probably not
THE bar) for a beverage before roaring back home. We had a great time, and
now this car was that much more special for me.

He died later that year.  After the ceremony at the church, they rolled his
coffin out to the hearse - it was on a fancy aluminum trolley sitting on the
sidewalk.  I was consoling my aunt and suddenly she starts screaming.  My
uncles coffin was rolling down the sidewalk and into the street.  Leave it
to him to take one more drive....... and me to do some fancy footwork.

Chris age 44
63 TR4  broken radiator mount
54 TR2 waiting patiently for attention
88 XR4TI getting abuse every once in a while