Re: TR4/4A/250 Hardtop Rear Chrome Trim

To: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: TR4/4A/250 Hardtop Rear Chrome Trim
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:45:31 -0500
Hello Jeff and Bill.
I understand Jeff's question as I too was wondering what to use for the same
application when I had purchased a used fiberglass reproduction surrey top
system for my 4A. Since then I was able to find an original system and have
sold the fiberglass system. The part is a Stainless Steel channel that
presses over a lip along the rear edge of the center section hardtop and
trims out the joint between the top skin and the top structure frame. It has
an arc to it but it's not a perfect radius as it turns down at each end.
The piece is similar to the Stainless Steel trim piece that trims the fender
to body joints on Spitfires and as a matter of fact I bought a used piece of
that trim and was going to try and fabricate something from it to use. What
I found out was that the Spitfire piece is larger in all dimensions that the
hardtop trim piece and especially in the width of the channel so it would
have fit too loose. However that trim piece might be made to work with some
work to it.
Being SS it is very tough and does not bent easily so a lot of care would
need to be taken.

Some other ideas would be to go to a good auto body shop / paint supplies
store and ask them what they have in the way of plastic trim pieces. It may
be that they carry something that would be a good substitute. Contact
Racetorations in England as I believe that they are reproducing the hardtop
and may well have a piece available that they are using or could give some
guidance.
Last, I would be happy to send some photos of my piece as it's still waiting
for my body man / metal artist to return the aluminum top to me so I can
have my system complete. He's had it for over a year, when have we heard
these stories before??

Hope this helps

Jerry Van Vlack