Birthdays

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Birthdays
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:10:25 -0000
Hi Folks
I will be 38 (had to work that out) next month, I'm still 17 mentally except
when I have to work outside in single figure temperatures (Celsius) then the
cold seems to make me seize up for longer than it used to!
I got my first Triumph, bought by my parents, a Herald Estate car at 16 and
10 months, and had to wait to drive her, there was this brief conversation
about some sort of choice a Herald or an Austin Allagro. I said I'd sooner
walk! So the Herald it was, now being 17 the throttle was treated as an on
off switch, usually on, I am only here because that car and the one that
followed, also an estate would corner faster than I had the courage to enter
the corner, with the single proviso that you kept the power on! That is not
to imply that I was going slow! I had set the suspension geometry to favour
radial tyres and the thing was on rails. I then had a Dolomite and within a
week of owning that had been sideways on a round a bout in front of a Police
Officer, he was very understanding when I explained that I had just changed
from a Herald to this Dolomite. Since then I have had a stream of small and
large Triumph saloons, then a couple of years back we got a Spit, one fun
car!
I have recently got a modern, a BMW to take the strain off the Triumphs for
work, up until this the Triumphs were daily drivers, and my big saloon had
to take the strain when the BMW decided not to start last week.

Graham.
Ps really enjoying this thread!