TR4A transmission selector rails

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A transmission selector rails
From: Jim Wallace <jim.wallace@netscape.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:49:47 -0500
It's not my birthday :) so I'm starting work on my transmission.
Have had apart and back together the top cover containing the shift lever
rails.
Now to fit into the detents in the rails there are there are ball bearings,
plungers, and springs. I have three different assemblies for the three
different rails and neither Haynes nor Bentley shows my particular collection:

1. Plunger with pointy tip, spring, and distance piece.
2. Plunger with blunt tip (not from wear), spring, and distance piece
3. Ball bearing with heavier spring and no distance piece.

Now the reverse rail has a much wider detent than the 1/2 or the 3/4 rails,
whose detents appear the same as each other. The books, in two different
drawings, indicate one plunger and two ball bearing setups, with the
plunger for the reverse rail. To me it appears the wider detent in the
reverse rail should accept the ball bearing.

How can I figure this out, anybody?
TIA,
Jim
PS I do know about the other two internal "lock-out" ball bearings and they
are in place, so I don't have an extra from there.