TR4 white steel dash, etc.

To: Nicholas Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Subject: TR4 white steel dash, etc.
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:26:26 -0600
Greetings Nick,
You may be right that my 64 TR4 (CT38895LO) [built 13 Nov 64, dispatched
18 Jan 65]  is one of the (or maybe even the) latest TR4s now in the
U.S. w/ a white painted steel dash. The car has several unusual details
since it was delivered to and first sold in (West) Germany. It has amber
turn signals front / back, a combination ignition switch / steering
column lock located under the dash on the steering column, and a white
painted steel dash.  When I got the car in Jul 67 the space normally
occupied by the dash mounted ignition switch was an empty hole - I soon
installed a J.C. Whitney hazard flasher at this location.  I always
thought the under dash switch / steering lock was likely installed by
the selling dealer (Walter Hagen & Company, G.M.B.H., Krefeld) since the
nomenclature on the lock is clearly German.  To my surprise, the BMIHT
production record trace certificate mentions the "steering lock", so it
was installed in the factory.

Since I've owned this TR4, it's been licensed in 3 locations ; US Forces
Europe (67-69), Georgia (69-88) and Illinois (88- present).  When
Georgia changed from a new steel tag each year to a multi year aluminum
reflective tag in the late 70s, I submitted a number of alternative
personalized tag choices - TTRR 44 being the first choice - which was
approved. I was also fortunate enough to get the same in Illinois. I
don't have the military tag or the annual Georgia tags,  but I do have
Georgia "TTRR 44" and an obsolete Illinois "TTRR 44"  tags on my garage
wall.

Tks for the kind comments about my TR4.  I've registered for VTR 2005 (
only 70 miles up the road in Rockford, IL - 26 > 30 Jul ) and I'm trying
to decide about S. Central VTR Regional in San Marcos, TX (28 Apr > 1
May)[1200 miles one way],  TRA in Branson, MO (23 > 25 Jun) [570 miles
one way], & SE VTR Regional at Jekyll Island,GA ( 29 Sep > 1 Oct) [1100
miles one way]. If I went to all these meetings it would be about 6000
miles - definitely a banner year.  I was very glad to depart the still
cold upper mid west last April and drive south to Tallahassee, so maybe
Texas at the end of Apr is a good start.

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 since '67