Break-in procedures - chrome rings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Break-in procedures - chrome rings
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:38:05 -0500
Hello List;
Need some advice or current thinking on how to break-in chrome rings on TR
wet sleeve bores. I have just fitted a set of "Total Seal" rings on my new
pistons and liners. The top two rings on the set are chrome, and the second
ring is Total Seals patented two ring design.
I have been told that with chrome rings it is advisable  on initial
start-up to drive the car really hard to insure that the rings seat. If you
try to "break-in" the rings in the conventional manner, you are asking for
high oil consumption and the rings never really seat. I am reluctant to
take that advice without really looking into it.
Any advice or past experiences?
Thanks in advance,
Angelo Graham
'55 TR2