Re: Break-in procedures - chrome rings

To: a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca
Subject: Re: Break-in procedures - chrome rings
From: ron meek <rmeek8@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:51:23 -0700
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:38:05 -0500 Angelo Graham
<a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
> Hello List;
> Need some advice or current thinking on how to break-in chrome rings
> on TR
> wet sleeve bores. I have just fitted a set of "Total Seal" rings on
> my new
> pistons and liners. The top two rings on the set are chrome, and the
> second
> ring is Total Seals patented two ring design.
> I have been told that with chrome rings it is advisable  on initial
>
> start-up to drive the car really hard to insure that the rings seat.
> If you
> try to "break-in" the rings in the conventional manner, you are
> asking for
> high oil consumption and the rings never really seat. I am reluctant
> take that advice without really looking into it.
> Any advice or past experiences?
> Thanks in advance,
> Angelo Graham
> '55 TR2
>
> Use short bursts of full throttle followed by engine braking, the high
cylinder pressures causes the rings to seat, the high vacuum
caused by the engine braking draws oil up the cylinder walls which washes
away small microscopic metal particles away.
When using chrome rings make sure the honing is done with coarse stones,
moly rings require very fine stones.

Ron Meek